NTT DOCOMO, INC. and its eight regional subsidiaries announced today the new 906i and 706i series comprising 19 handsets and 64 body colors, which will be launched on or after June 1 (see charts below).
The 906i series’ eight handsets are equipped for all-round functions, including 3G/GSM international roaming, upgraded GPS location information, HSDPA, “One-Segment” mobile TV, 2 in 1® (combines capabilities of two phones in one), DCMX® mobile credit card and iD™ mobile credit payments, VGA LCD screen and voice-to-text translation for Chinese, English and Japanese.
The 906i series enables full-spec enjoyment of diverse video content and services, including DOCOMO’s Music & Video Channel, which provides more than 100 channels of downloadable broadcasts spanning 14 genres, and the new video portal on the i-mode™ top screen, which offers a wide array of free, searchable videos and clips. The handsets come with upgraded full browsers to play Windows Media® Video (all models except F906i) and Flash® 8 (all models except P906i) content commonly available on PC websites, and can upload movies and images of up to 2MB.
The new 706i series, 11 handsets in all, boasts slim, sophisticated designs and compatibility with “One-Segment” mobile TV. The 706i meets diverse needs with a wide-ranging lineup, including the Extra-Slim One-Seg Phone (slimmest One-Seg phone available), the Waterproof One-Seg Phone, the Wellness phone that monitors diet and health, and the enhanced Easy-to-Use phone with improved user interface. Some models are also compatible with advanced services such as HSDPA and 3G/GSM international roaming.
906i Series Launch Schedule
June 1, 2008 P906iJune 2, 2008 SO906iJune 3, 2008 SH906iJune 4, 2008 N906iμJune 5, 2008 F906iJune, 2008 N906i, N906iμ (STNY by Samantha Thavasa), N906iL onefone™June to July AQUOS® Phone SH906iTV
706i Series Launch Schedule
June to July F706iJuly N706i, SO706i and P706ieJuly to August NM706i, P706iμ, SH706iAugust L706ieAugust to September N706ie, SH706ieSeptember SH706iw
Features of 906i Series Models
1. Enhanced Video Capabilities
- Music & Video Channel
- More than 100 downloadable programs covering 14 genres.
- Expanded compatibility with video clips, “i-appli” movies and more.
- Video streaming portal now located directly on iMenu (i-mode top page)
- Searchable video clips, including free content, for streaming.
- Upgraded file-uploading capability
- Upload animation/video files of up to 2 Mb to Websites.
- Windows Media® Video (WMV) and Flash® files
- More models than in previous series play Windows Media Video files.
- Enhanced Full Browser displays richer pages and plays Flash 8 files.
- “One-Segment” mobile TV broadcasts
- VIERA®, AQUOS® and BRAVIA® models offer upgraded features for viewing “One-Seg” programs.
- “Pocket U”
- Remotely access PC from phone (via secure VPN) to retrieve videos, music, photos or documents that can be played/opened/stored in the phone.
- “Home U” (N906iL only)
- Access high-speed broadband from mobile phone (via wireless router) to download large files and make low-cost VoIP calls.
- Video transfers from Blu-ray™
- Transfer video from Blu-ray recorders (via USB cable) for playback on phone.
2. Upgraded “Deco-mail” Features
- Deco-mail Animation
- Animate message backgrounds, as well as message text, for highly expressive communication.
- Mail display changes depending on date/time or buttons receiver uses.
- Deco-mail Picture with Flash
- Deco-mail accepts Flash attachments.
- Flash files can be embedded in Deco-mail messages.
3. More International Features
- Wider access to 3G/GSM international roaming
- 158countries/regions (i-mode in 118 locations, videophone in 45).
- iD now available outside of Japan
- iD credit payment services will become available in airports and major tourism spots in China (Shanghai and Beijing) and Guam from June.
- Speech translation now in Chinese
- Translation of spoken words for display as phone-screen text now available between Japanese/Chinese, as well as Japanese/English.
4. Other New Functions or Services
- GPS & Map Navigation with emergency guidance
- Maps with satellite (GPS) navigation guide user to evacuation sites and hospitals in emergencies, even if mobile network is down.
- Emergency bulletin board and location function help find family and friends.
- Registration for iD automatic with DCMX application
- Registration to use iD mobile credit service is processed automatically when user applies for DCMX mobile credit card.
- More models than in 905i series run voice/motion-activated “Chokkan Games”
- Pre-installed “Direct Menu”
- Customizable menu for easy access to frequently used functions and services.
- Shorter connection time with PushTalk
- Less connection delay when using PushTalk service for walkie-talkie-style communication with up to five people.